Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Introducing Austin Eventing!

Hello All!!

I am excited to be launching Austin Eventing!  My name is Lisa Bauman and I am an eventer.  I recently moved to Austin, Texas with my horse (Arvo) and my incredibly supportive boyfriend (who incidentally still thinks my horse growled at him once)!

One of the hardest things about relocating was leaving my stable, riding team, and equine family behind.  I just kept thinking about how amazing a show season that runs more or less all year long and warm weather to train in would be!  So, here I am.  Being new to the area and having to re-build all of my horse local horse connections has lead me to some interesting research discoveries.

It seems that the eventing community near Austin is somewhat segregated.  Of course, I don't mean segregated by breed or cross country colors, but that there seems to be a lack of cohesive communication between riders.  I could be completely off the mark, missing a piece to the puzzle, or just haven't stumbled on the facebook page yet...  However, after chatting with more than a few event riders, it seems that there are a bunch of us down here, but that most riders compete, travel, and train as individuals.

While being an individual event rider is certainly a determined and motivated state of being, I personally have always enjoyed the camaraderie that eventing has offered.  There's nothing quite like being on course, nailing some crazy suspended log, corner, over a water feature, and galloping off while hearing your riding friends screaming in excitement!!

That being said, I wanted to test the waters to see if the Austin-based Eventing community would have any interest in gathering forces!  This blog (as well as the facebook page I just launched) is intended to gather the community for social purposes.

I am hoping that people will interact and share their information about the local eventing scene.  I intend to do my best to update people about shows, clinics, schooling opportunities, and other equine related obsessions.  I would also like to suggest a periodical social gathering!  Let's pick a place and all get together to meet and great each other.  In addition, I will be working on a calender and some sort of ride-share program so that those with trailers and those without can communicate to travel together!

So, don't be shy!!  Comment, e-mail, send your stories, videos, and training shtuffs!  The more the merrier.  If you have an event coming up and want people to know, let me know!  I will do my best to cross promote everything you send me!

Thank you for your interest!  I look forward to learning more about all of you!


2 comments:

  1. One group in Austin that supports eventing is Austin dressage Unlimited. I encourage all event riders to at least look into what they are all about and how they could possibly help you improve your dressage score at the horse trials. I would like to see a large group of eventing folks join forces within that group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Suggestion! Do you happen to know if the ADU does any sort of group discount/membership for cross discipline members? I know some people don't join local dressage groups because they get over whelmed with all the registration fees.* Also, as a current member of the ADU, do you know who currently events that is a member as well?

    *I haven't looked at the ADU's membership fees/policy, so this comment may not apply.

    ReplyDelete